Patrick's day. Since I am taking a class on Church history, I just happen to have recently written a
short piece on St. Patrick. Here's what I wrote:
One thing that was
surprising to learn is that St. Patrick was born in Scotland and then sold into
slavery in Ireland. He lived for 106 years. It was during his time as a slave
sheepherder, that he penned the words “His fear increased in me more and more,
and the faith grew in me, and the spirit was roused, so that, in a single day,
I have said as many as a hundred prayers, and in the night nearly the same, so
that whilst in the woods and on the mountain, even before the dawn, I was
roused to prayer and felt no hurt from it, whether there was snow or ice or
rain; nor was there any slothfulness in me, such as I see now, because the
spirit was then fervent within me.“ (St. Patrick,
1911)
As was common with many mystics during this time period, St. Patrick’s life was
rich in the workings of signs and wonders. Wherever he went, “the fame of
Patrick's marvelous power of miracles preceded him.” (St. Patrick,
1911)
Some of his most significant miracles were performed on Easter Day in 433 AD,
when Patrick took on a brood of Druids much like Elijah and the Prophets of
Baal. “Patrick's ministry lasted 29 years. He baptized over 120,000 Irishmen
and planted 300 churches.” (Kithcart, 2014) Patrick’s story is
an epic reminder of the cost associated with being a true disciple of Christ.
Surrendering to the life of missions is not an easy choice and often comes with
much tribulation. “Rev. Earnes concurs, ‘I honestly feel that what Patrick
taught Ireland was that there is a cost to discipleship, but it's a cost worth
paying.” (Kithcart, 2014)
Did you also know that St. Patrick raised people from the Dead? Quoting Tyler Johnson's Facebook post, "A few resurrection stories about St. Patrick: Once, the two children of king Alphinus died; a daughter named Dublinia and a son named Eochadh. Alphinus
told St. Patrick that if he raised his children back to life he would
give himself and his kingdom to God. So, Patrick raised them both back
to life. The king was baptized shortly after and the people turned from
Druid worship to God. To remember what God had done, the king named his
biggest city after his daughter, which is why that city is now called
Dublin. -Church history records St. Patrick to have raised 33
men from the dead...."some dead many years." Just go ahead and think
about that for a moment."
So how do you really celebrate a man who died this day many years ago? Getting drunk on whiskey and Green Beer seems wildly inappropriate. I guess for me today is much more of a challenge to live my faith out-loud. Today is a day that if I see someone who is sick and hurting, I want to pray for them to be healed and to give a lending hand. Granted that should be my everyday, but since it's not, I will start today. I don't think I'm up for walking into the morgue and praying for the dead to be raised. I wish I was that brave. My friend Kyle and I prayed for a friends step dad several years ago who was dying because he tried to kill himself. I really believed we were going to raise him up then. But nurses and red tape got in the way. I think watching a movie called "DeadRaiser" would be a great way to honor St. Patrick's legacy. Anything you can do to stir your faith to believe God for more.
I don't know about you but I too often limit God by my small imagination. I have not because I ask not. My friend Corrie reminded me last night about George Mueller's life. He did amazing work in England and never asked anyone other than God for the things he needed. He believed that God would provide 100%. I run a prayer ministry on campus and I am not convinced of God's faithfulness, like George was. I can prove it because every time I ask God for something and he does it, I am shocked. My faith is very small.
So today, I will stretch my faith and believe God for something that only he could provide. I will pray for people to be healed and if I come across someone dying or dead I will pray for them to be raised back to life. Today, I will live not like a 21st century American in my faith but like those long ago who actually believed and saw God do amazing things.
No comments:
Post a Comment